Thursday, July 02, 2020

Preperation of heating center specs 1973

I finished the METU Mechanical Engineering  department in 1973. I had an appointment with the head of sugar factories maintenance and repair department, and I met him. "Do you work in Alpullu sugar factory?" He Asked. I mixed Alpullu with the turhal sugar factory. I was very surprised to see that it was in the middle of Thrace on the map.

I got on the train, got off in Haydarpaşa, got on the train from Sirkeci, started my first professional job on a rainy afternoon on April 9-April. Ergene valley from the room of the technical manager remained in my mind.

The factory was in a general overhaul, which has finished its sugar production time. The pumps were disassembled, overhauled, cleaned and put back in place. There was not much engineering to do.

A month later, a request came from the nearby beet seed  plant, Sarimsakli farm.
The Sarimsakli farm land was used by the German army during the first world war, and agriculture and animal production was then made for the German army.
Its infrastructure was a well-established productive agricultural enterprise based on German agricultural technology.

The farm had many staff lodgings. All of them were heated by coal stove in the winters. Farm was very famous in the production of cheese and yogurt. They received good allowances that year, with this money they wanted to switch to central heating for lodging. They needed a mechanical engineer to prepare the tender paperwork to draw the project for this job. That allowance should be spent within that year.

The request came, and found me, the new graduate. I went to the farm. I talked to the manager, the staff was very excited. In the end, they would be able to use central heating systems that are easy to operate, and even nonstop hot water at home.

I hurriedly bought the heater manual from the Ankara Chamber of Mechanical Engineers. I read the manual for a few days. The job was not so easy, the heat loss of each lodging would be calculated, the return pipes would be located, and the main heat cycle heating boilers would be selected, the system would be designed. All these works would be completed in a month, there was a difficult time pressure. At that time, there was no computer, not even a digital calculator.

The roofs of the lodgings, where the families stayed individually, were very weak. The ceiling was simple plywood material. There was no isolation between roof and tile carriers. The heat escaped from the ceiling very easily. There was no possibility to isolate the heat inside. A fast and effective solution was a must.

I put 5-cm thick rock wool on all roofs. I calculated the wall heat loss of a lodging, I accepted the average kcal per m3 heat loss amount. I found the heat loss for each individual lodging. I determined the radiator sizes. I calculated the distribution pipes.

I calculated the size of the boiler, I needed three boilers, one for spare. I drew pipes, radiators and coal boilers in the layout plan. I completed the technical documents using the correspondence language of a similar company technical specification. I handed it over to Farm Manager within one month.

Then, I returned to Ankara to work on the project of pulp drying furnace in the company headquarters new project department"

After I left, the Sarimsakli farm openned up the tender. Separate purchases were made. First, the roofs were covered with 5-cm glass wool. Heater radiators were purchased, distribution pipes were installed, boilers were placed in the central heating plant. All work was done fast, and that winter farm staff entered the new year in their warm home. They were satisfied, I am satisfied with the work and the result. I received a thank you letter written on my name. Tough requirements, tight  time limitations, always create fast solutions.

Ankara 2-July 2020

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click to join EnergyNewsletterTurkey

Click to join EnergyNewsletterTurkey

Free Blog Counter